The Centre in Bragança presents itself as a provider of european information to the common citizen. Besides general information on the history and building of the european common framework, guidance, assistance and support on communitarian legislation, policies and specific programmes are provided aiming the oppotunity of funding to several actions.
Faced with the extinction of the European Network of Rural Carrefours financed by the European Commission, Instituto Politécnico de Bragança (IPB), through the staff and Director of the then called Carrefour-Bragança (Centre of European Information and Rural Animation) presented in 2004 its application to the European Commission invitation to set up new EUROPE DIRECT Information Centres.
The approval originated the opening of the Europe Direct Information Centre in Bragança in 2005 for a periodof 4 years. In 2009, the Center was again approved to be opened up to 2012.
This Centre, being part of IPB, aims to provide the local population with an easy means to access european informationand documents, both printed and on-line, as well as personalized technical support on european issues.
To supply information about the European Union policies and programmes in Trás-os-Montes (the Portuguese Northeastern region).
To achieve its aims this centre presents the following functions:
- Providing the population with useful information on the European Union activities;
- Collaborating with several regional institutions;
- Guaranteeing that the citizens questions and suggestions get to the rightful European institutions.
- Personalized technical support available in the public facility to:
- answer the citizens queries;
- facilitate the consultation of European documents both printed and on-line;
- give support in the consultation of the European data banks;
- Production and dissemination of European information material by:
- Monthly Information Service;
- Bi-monthly Electronic Newsletter;
- Weekly Press Realease;
- Four Monthly Newsletter;
- Promotion and support of information events of various sorts, targeted at specific groups, together with schools, local authorities, associations, among others;
- The setting up of partnerships with various institutions aiming amore efficient dissemination of the European information;
- Europe Direct Service access point – free telephone service allowing citizens the opportunity to speak directly to Brussels and put their questions on the European Union.